2016年7月18日月曜日

Discussion about my List of Greatest Mathematicians

Discussion about my List of Greatest Mathematicians

In compiling this list, I've considered contributions outside mathematics. Newton contributed little to number theory, for example, but I consider him to have great breadth because of his physics, which is also his main influence. (I do give a much lower "weight" to contributions outside pure mathematics.) With different criteria, the List would appear much different. For example, here's a different ordering for the Top Twelve that might make more sense to some:

1 Leonhard Euler 4 Archimedes 7 Bernhard Riemann 10 Isaac Newton
2 Carl F. Gauss 5 Alexandre Grothendieck 8 David Hilbert 11 Henri Poincaré
3 Euclid of Alexandria 6 Joseph-Louis Lagrange 9 Pierre de Fermat 12 Évariste Galois
Help me change this to a Greatest of All-time List!
Are the Rankings "Correct"?
Criteria
"Born before 1930"
The "Maxwell Quintet"
Is it pretentious of me to "Rank" the Greatest Mathematicians?
Mathematicians from the Modern Era
About my List of Greatest Mathematicians
Mathematical physicists
Math is Beautiful
Controversies
First Discoverers
Threads
Miscellania
Dates and Nationalities of Mathematicians on List
I.Q. Estimates Complex Numbers Euler's Discovery Heegner Numbers An Elegant Diagram Prime Numbers Musical scales Note on Babylonian Multiplication
Great Mathematicians' Self-Appraisals
Prizes and Medals
Other Lists 
Pickover's List Eells' List Polyanin's List Ioan James' List Mastin's List
Greatest Scientists 
Cardano's List Simmons' Most Influential Scientists Hart's List
Female Mathematicians
Omissions from the List
Proposed candidates
(The list has become fairly stable: The only major change in 2013 was to expand the List to a Top 105 for which the five new names ended up being Daniel Bernoulli, George Birkhoff, Felix Hausdorff, George Pólya and (after adding but then demoting Thabit ibn Qurra) Israel Gelfand. In 2014 I added Tarski and Frege, two of the greatest logicians ever. (Erdös and Lobachevsky were removed to make space.) Given these additions, it made sense to demote two other pure logicians on the list: Gödel and Boole.

With the emphasis on mathematicians born before 1930, the List of 100 or 150 are really Greatest Mathematicians of the Past. So ... with the birthyear cutoff changed to 1950 (and exceptions permitted for four post-1950 geniuses) ...

I've expanded the List to The 200 Greatest Mathematicians of All-Time

.
Of the 200 names on the Top 200, 45 were born in the 20th century. This suggests that 22 of those names (half of 45) belong on the the Top 100, were I to remove the emphasis on the past. Instead there are only 11 on the Top 100 who were born in the 20th century. So, about ten modern mathematicians should be promoted.

Are the Rankings "Correct"?

There's overlap between top mathematicians and top practitioners of other areas, especially physics. I'm afraid that, almost unconsciously, I've allowed greatness at physics (or other areas) to blur in and affect my ratings. Newton belongs somewhere on the Top Ten, but he'd not get the #1 rank without his physics. Similarly, I've promoted Leibniz, von Neumann, Weyl, Pythagoras, Pascal, Archytas, Alhazen, Kepler, Grassmann, Huygens, and several others because of their work outside pure mathematics. (As an extreme case, Leonardo da Vinci appears on the extended list.) Does this affect the validity of my rankings? Perhaps -- But I always encourage readers, who might have different criteria, to use this List as a starting-point in constructing their own List.

Even an expert with very clear criteria would have trouble assigning exact ranks to mathematicians' "greatness," if such a thing even has meaning; and I am not an expert and do not have clear criteria. Nevertheless I am largely satisfied with the present rankings. I believe that the Top Ten are the only possible Top Ten! I think the Top 30, and the Top 60 are reasonable.

I made one change to the Top Thirty in 2014. I realized that by underestimating the achievements of Archytas, Theaetetus and Euclid, I had exaggerated the importance of Eudoxus, so I demoted him, promoting Hamilton to fill the vacancy on Top Thirty.

I made one change to the Top Thirty in 2015. Despite his historical importance and fame, there were several Islamic mathematicians with more genius than Al-Khowarizmi, and he borrowed much from the great Hindu mathematician Aryabhata, whom I've now placed on the Top Thirty in Al-Khowarizmi's stead.

The only changes to the Top 60 List since early 2013 have been to replace Boole, Fourier, Poncelet and Vieta with Borel, Grassmann, Liouville and Peano. Liouville at #54 may still be too low; he was a mathematician of outstanding breadth.

A major change to the Top 90 was to include five applied mathematicians: Galileo, Einstein, Maxwell, Aristotle, Cardano. To make room for these five, I needed small demotions of Hausdorff, Artin and Pólya; a large demotion of Wallis, and a huge demotion of Boole.

Of course there will be quibbling about the precise order within these lists. Some think Ramanujan isn't historically important enough to make the Top 30, but please judge my list by the criteria I use (breadth of work and depth of genius also considered), not the criteria you'd have used.

I'm still willing to try to improve the List. :-) No List will please everybody, so please complain only if your choice for Top 75 is missing from my Top 150 (or if I have someone in the Top 75 who doesn't even belong in the Top 150). Please E-mail suggestions for the List (and, more importantly, corrections to the mini-bios) to me.

Criteria

To qualify, a mathematician must have historical importance, "depth" and "breadth." Historical importance (or influence) deals with the question "Did this person change the course of mathematical history?" Many lists consider only historical influence, and will end up with a very different list from mine. Ramanujan had only minor influence, but appears high on my list because of his great genius.

When I say a mathematician has "Depth," I mean that his work was particularly creative, revolutionary, or difficult. Cantor and Gödel have great "depth" because their work was especially creative and revolutionary. Weierstrass and Dirichlet have great "depth" because they were able to prove difficult theorems that had stumped others.

With "Breadth" I promote mathematicians who did excellent work in varied fields. For example, I rank Fermat higher than many would because he was a key early developer of both analytic geometry AND number theory and also did good work in geometry, probability, and even optics. Leibniz did not prove any particularly difficult theorem, but is ranked high because of his historical importance and great breadth. Due to outstanding breadth, I also rank Von Neumann and Leonardo 'Fibonacci' higher than others might. On the other hand, Jakob Steiner was an outstanding genius whom I've "demoted" somewhat due to his focus exclusively on geometry.

Of course, this is all arbitrary and fuzzy. The exact "rankings" are just my feelings ... and I often rearrange the list on whim!

Born before 1930

Some will object to my decision to ignore mathematicians born after 1930, but this decision seemed clearly right to me for several reasons:

One cannot evaluate a mathematician's life work while he is still living! I've found in several cases that the best summary of a mathematician's work appears in his obituary.
It takes time for fellow mathematicians to form a considered judgment, and then more time for historians to catch up. And I am dependent on the opinions of experts, introducing more delay.
By trying to compare living mathematicians, I could foster partisan bickering, or inject myself into rivalries.
The explosive growth in mathematics over the last 60 years makes it difficult to select favorites from the modern era, especially since increasing specialization conflicts with the "breadth" criterion I emphasize.
Seven born between 1910 and 1930 appear in the Top 105. I'm quite unsure whether my "rankings" of these relatively recent mathematicians will meet the test of time. Adding more recent mathematicians would just increase my anxiety!

Anyway, my List isn't intended to be anything but a starting point. You're welcome to adopt it with additions and subtractions as you wish!

The "Maxwell Quintet"

There are five men who are among the most important mathematical scientists ever, yet may lack the importance as pure mathematicians for a list such as this -- Maxwell, Einstein, Galileo, Aristotle and Cardano. I'd definitely want to include them in any List of Greatest Mathematicans with size 100 or more, but am not sure where on the List to put them; instead I've just set them aside as an extra quintet that brings the List to 105 total.

There are several other outstanding physicists that may seem to belong in the same category, for examples: Huygens, Kepler, Alhazen. However each of these did produce work that affected the development of pure mathematics (though I've considered their importance to physics in their high rankings). The Maxwell quintet, on the other hand, lack the mathematical importance to belong on the list at all, and are mentioned solely because of their huge importance as applied mathematicians.

Other top theoretical mathematical physicists include Dirac, who is on the List of 200; and Boltzmann, Feynman, Heisenberg and Schrödinger who are not.

Is it pretentious of me to "Rank" the Greatest Mathematicians?

I've tried to do a good job of ranking the mathematicians, but realize it's a silly conceit, and that no ranking would satisfy everyone.

Some will wonder, not whether my rankings are "correct," but whether Great Mathematicians should be ranked at all, especially by someone like me, with no apparent qualifications. I ask myself this as well. But to simply list "100 Great Mathematicians" would be even less satisfying: it would seem silly to have both Archimedes and Legendre appear on the same single list. And to make, for example, two lists ("50 Greatest" and "50 Near Greats") would combine the worst of both approaches: How could one justify the distinction between the #50 slot and the #51 slot? Like it or not, the ranking is needed for the List to have any value. I've tried to justify the rankings in the mini-bios.

As a separate matter, some of my rankings are controversial, despite that I've tried to base them partly on expert opinions I've gleaned from books and Internet resources. One correspondent thought Pascal should rank above Fibonacci. (This was one of the correspondents who thought ranking at all was wrong!) Since this is probably a popular opinion, I'll comment here. Pascal was certainly a spectacular genius, but had very low actual influence. Wallis and Cavalieri, who are each shown far below Pascal in rank, were each more influential to the early development of calculus; moreover Pascal's brilliant geometry was inspired in large measure by Desargues' work. I wonder if I've placed Pascal too high, not too low. Leonardo `Fibonacci', on the other hand was a versatile and important teacher who was one of the very best number theorists before Fermat. It isn't widely acknowledged but Leonardo proved the n=4 case of FLT more than 400 years before Fermat did.

Many people view Newton, Gauss and Archimedes as an almost "Divine" Trinity, being the three greatest mathematicians ever, while others would add Euler and make this a Divine Quaternity. Euler was superlative in several ways and it is tempting to rank him above Gauss, but Gauss was the greatest theorem prover ever and handily solved several problems that had stumped Euler. I just keep changing my mind about the best order to rank the four greatest. If you still disapprove of my rankings within the Top Four, just pretend I've ranked them all as tied for #1 !

The criteria of "depth" (work that was particularly creative, revolutionary, or difficult) and "historical importance" are probably not controversial, but my insistence on "breadth" (excellent work in multiple fields) may result in rankings different from others. Since the fuzzy measures of "depth" and "breadth" apply unequally to the candidates, the final "rankings" become arbitrary. Leibniz may lack the "depth" for the Top Ten, but his breadth and importance are enormous. Abel, Weierstrass and Dirichlet probably have less importance and "breadth" than others in the Top Thirty but, as measured by skill at proving difficult theorems, they each had great "depth." Some think Lebesgue should rank higher because of his importance, but, lacking "breadth," he should perhaps be lower. Et cetera. In any event, I hope those commenting on my rankings will base their comments on my criteria, not the criteria they would have chosen!

There are two versions of the list; the content is identical but greatmm.htm is the start of a seven-page set containing the List and biographies, while mathmen.htm combines the List of 100 and bios into a single, very large, page. (gmat200.htm is an even longer page with the List expanded to 200 names.)

Mathematicians from the Modern Era

There are many living mathematicians with extraordinary genius, who will certainly appear on a future List like this, but for several reasons it would be uncomfortable or difficult to include them on my list. Therefore I've adopted 1930 as an arbitrary cut-off for birth year. Even with this cutoff, the List includes eight people still living, or who were alive after 1986. These names are Atiyah, Chern, Gelfand, Grothendieck, Kolmogorov, Selberg, Serre, Weil. While most of those just named exhibited great breadth, many of the great geniuses born after 1930 specialized of necessity. This is one reason I include Conway and Milnor on an expanded list even though they were born after 1930 -- they each exhibited outstanding breadth.

About my List of Greatest Mathematicians

The mini-biographies are of different lengths. Some of the greatest (e.g. Jacobi) have biographies much shorter than less obvious candidates like Kepler. This is due in part to a desire to justify Kepler's inclusion, while Jacobi's inclusion is not in doubt.

I've tried to add a quotation to each of the mini-biographies: either something that genius said, or something some other genius said about him.

I've learned a great deal while preparing this list, not only about Renaissance and Modern mathematicians, but about ancient mathematics as well. While preparing the very brief summary of ancient mathematics I stumbled upon descriptions of Babylonian Multiplication. In the note you'll see why this came as a pleasant surprise to me. I'm not really qualified to make a list like this -- it started as a practice exercise while learning HTML tags! -- but many Websurfers were stumbling on My List of Mathematicians, so I've devoted considerable effort to making this a list I can be proud and confident about. By now, I've devoted many hours to reading biographies, and reacting to others' opinions, and by now I'm fairly satisfied with the validity of my List of Greatest Mathematicians, but I'd be happy to make it better!

Mathematical physicists

I had trouble deciding whether to include great mathematical physicists like Maxwell, Einstein, and Galileo, who would not qualify for the List if only their contributions to pure mathematics are considered. I've changed my mind back-and-forth about whether to include them, and finally compromised by adding these names (and Aristotle and Cardano) as a special addendum to increase the List to 105. (In the following discussion references to my "List of 100" usual refer to the complete List of 105.)

Hipparchus, Huygens, Kepler and Daniel Bernoulli are also great mathematical physicists, but I have included them in the main List of 100 because of their great historical importance in the development of mathematics.

Why Einstein might be on the List

I get many comments that Einstein doesn't belong on a List of Greatest Mathematicians, despite that I indicate my reasons in his mini-bio. (I admit that this is my List, and I may have occasionally allowed whims to influence some of the choices. I might not have included Omar al-Khayyám if it weren't for his poetry.)

But I even receive comments that Einstein wasn't even a great physicist, despite that his 1905 papers revolutionized physics, and that his 1915 General Relativity has been called the most creative physics ever. I won't comment on this fringe iconoclastic view except to show the comments of Hilbert (not known for humility) on the matter: "Every boy in the streets of Gottingen understands more about four-dimensional geometry than Einstein. Yet, in spite of that, Einstein did the work and not the mathematicians."

And, of course, all great scientists have built on others' work: Cantor and Gödel are regarded as two of the most original thinkers ever, yet Dedekind anticipated much of Cantor's work, and von Neumann's thinking inspired Gödel. Abel's theorem of quintics was first stated and partially proved by Ruffini; and so on.

Math is Beautiful

While preparing the mini-bios, I was struck by how many great mathematicians emphasized the beauty of their work. The quotations I've chosen by Boole, Cayley, Hardy, Weyl, Dirac and Banach all contain the word "beauty." If words like "poetry" or "ecstacy" are considered, Kepler, d'Alembert, Steiner, Weierstrass, Kovalevskaya, and Weil can be added to that list.

Betrand Russell wrote "Mathematics ... possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."

Buckminster Fuller once said "When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only of how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."

Gosta Mittag-Leffler wrote "The mathematician's best work is art, a high perfect art, as daring as the most secret dreams of imagination."http://fabpedigree.com/james/mmdiscus.htm

再生核研究所声明312(2016.07.14) ゼロ除算による 平成の数学改革を提案する

アリストテレス以来、あるいは西暦628年インドにおけるゼロの記録と、算術の確立以来、またアインシュタインの人生最大の懸案の問題とされてきた、ゼロで割る問題 ゼロ除算は、本質的に新しい局面を迎え、数学における基礎的な部分の欠落が明瞭になってきた。ここ70年を越えても教科書や学術書における数学の基礎的な部分の変更は かつて無かった事である。
そこで、最近の成果を基に現状における学術書、教科書の変更すべき大勢を外観して置きたい。特に、大学学部までの初等数学において、日本人の寄与は皆無であると言えるから、日本人が数学の基礎に貢献できる稀なる好機にもなるので、数学者、教育者など関係者の注意を換気したい。― この文脈では稀なる日本人数学者 関孝和の業績が世界の数学に活かせなかったことは 誠に残念に思われる。
先ず、数学の基礎である四則演算において ゼロでは割れない との世の定説を改め、自然に拡張された分数、割り算で、いつでも四則演算は例外なく、可能であるとする。山田体の導入。その際、小学生から割り算や分数の定義を除算の意味で 繰り返し減法(道脇方式)で定義し、ゼロ除算は自明であるとし 計算機が割り算を行うような算法で 計算方法も指導する。― この方法は割り算の簡明な算法として児童に歓迎されるだろう。
反比例の法則や関数y=1/xの出現の際には、その原点での値はゼロであると 定義する。その広範な応用は 学習過程の進展に従って どんどん触れて行くこととする。
いわゆるユークリッド幾何学の学習においては、立体射影の概念に早期に触れ、ゼロ除算が拓いた新しい空間像を指導する。無限、無限の彼方の概念、平行線の概念、勾配の概念を変える必要がある。どのように、如何に、カリキュラムに取り組むかは、もちろん、慎重な検討が必要で、数学界、教育界などの関係者による国家的取り組み、協議が必要である。重要項目は、直角座標系で y軸の勾配はゼロであること。真無限における破壊現象、接線などの新しい性質、解析幾何学との美しい関係と調和。すべての直線が原点を代数的に通り、平行な2直線は原点で代数的に交わっていること。行列式と破壊現象の美しい関係など。
大学レベルになれば、微積分、線形代数、微分方程式、複素解析をゼロ除算の成果で修正、補充して行く。複素解析学におけるローラン展開の学習以前でも形式的なローラン展開(負べき項を含む展開)の中心の値をゼロ除算で定義し、広範な応用を展開する。特に微分係数が正や負の無限大の時、微分係数をゼロと修正することによって、微分法の多くの公式や定理の表現が簡素化され、教科書の結構な記述の変更が要求される。媒介変数を含む多くの関数族は、ゼロ除算 算法で統一的な視点が与えられる。多くの公式の記述が簡単になり、修正される。
複素解析学においては 無限遠点はゼロで表現されると、コペルニクス的変更(無限とされていたのが実はゼロだった)を行い、極の概念を次のように変更する。極、特異点の定義は そのままであるが、それらの点の近傍で、限りなく無限の値に近づく値を位数まで込めて取るが、特異点では、ゼロ除算に言う、有限確定値をとるとする。その有限確定値のいろいろ幾何学な意味を学ぶ。古典的な鏡像の定説;原点の 原点を中心とする円の鏡像は無限遠点であるは、誤りであり、修正し、ゼロであると いろいろな根拠によって説明する。これら、無限遠点の考えの修正は、ユークリッド以来、我々の空間に対する認識の世界史上に置ける大きな変更であり、数学を越えた世界観の変更を意味している。― この文脈では天動説が地動説に変わった歴史上の事件が想起される。
ゼロ除算は 物理学を始め、広く自然科学や計算機科学への大きな影響が期待される。しかしながら、ゼロ除算の研究成果を教科書、学術書に遅滞なく取り入れていくことは、真智への愛、真理の追究の表現であり、四則演算が自由にできないとなれば、人類の名誉にも関わることである。ゼロ除算の発見は 日本の世界に置ける顕著な貢献として世界史に記録されるだろう。研究と活用の推進を 大きな夢を懐きながら 要請したい。
以 上
追記:
(2016) Matrices and Division by Zero z/0 = 0. Advances in Linear Algebra & Matrix Theory, 6, 51-58. 
http://www.scirp.org/journal/alamt   http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/alamt.2016.62007
http://www.ijapm.org/show-63-504-1.html
http://www.diogenes.bg/ijam/contents/2014-27-2/9/9.pdf DOI:10.12732/ijam.v27i2.9.


再生核研究所声明296(2016.05.06)   ゼロ除算の混乱

ゼロ除算の研究を進めているが、誠に奇妙な状況と言える。簡潔に焦点を述べておきたい。
ゼロ除算はゼロで割ることを考えることであるが、物理学的にはアリストテレス、ニュートン、アンシュタインの相当に深刻な問題として、問題にされてきた。他方、数学界では628年にインドで四則演算の算術の法則の確立、記録とともに永年問題とされてきたが、オイラー、アーベル、リーマン達による、不可能であるという考えと、極限値で考えて無限遠点とする定説が永く定着してきている。
ところが数学界の定説には満足せず、今尚熱い話題、問題として、議論されている。理由は、ゼロで割れないという例外がどうして存在するのかという、素朴な疑問とともに、積極的に、計算機がゼロ除算に出会うと混乱を起こす具体的な懸案問題を解消したいという明確な動機があること、他の動機としてはアインシュタインの相対性理論の上手い解釈を求めることである。これにはアインシュタインが直接言及しているように、ゼロ除算はブラックホールに関係していて、ブラックホールの解明を意図している面もある。偶然、アインシュタイン以後100年 実に面白い事件が起きていると言える。偶然、20年以上も考えて解明できたとの著書さえ出版された。― これは、初めから、間違いであると理由を付けて質問を送っているが、納得させる回答が無い。実名を上げず、具体的に 状況を客観的に述べたい。尚、ゼロ除算はリーマン仮説に密接に関係があるとの情報があるが 詳しいことは分からない。
1: ゼロ除算回避を目指して、新しい代数的な構造を研究しているグループ、相当な積み重ねのある理論を、体や環の構造で研究している。例えて言うと、ゼロ除算は沢山存在するという、考え方と言える。― そのような抽象的な理論は不要であると主張している。
2:同じくゼロ除算回避を志向して 何と0/0 を想像上の数として導入し、正、負無限大とともに数として導入して、新しい数の体系と演算の法則を考え、展開している。相当なグループを作っているという。BBCでも報じられたが、数学界の評判は良くないようである。― そのような抽象的な理論は不要であると主張している。
3:最近、アインシュタインの理論の専門家達が アインシュタインの理論から、0/0=1, 1/0=無限 が出て、ゼロ除算は解決したと報告している。― しかし、これについては、論理的な間違いがあると具体的に指摘している。結果も我々の結果と違っている。
4:数学界の永い定説では、1/0 は不可能もしくは、極限の考え方で、無限遠点を対応させる. 0/0 は不定、解は何でも良いとなっている。― 数学に基本的な欠落があって、ゼロ除算を導入しなければ数学は不完全であると主張し、新しい世界観を提起している。
ここ2年間の研究で、ゼロ除算は 何時でもゼロz/0=0であるとして、 上記の全ての立場を否定して、新しい理論の建設を進めている。z/0 は 普通の分数ではなく、拡張された意味でと初期から説明しているが、今でも誤解していて、混乱している人は多い、これは真面目に論文を読まず、初めから、問題にしていない証拠であると言える。
上記、関係者たちと交流、討論しているが、中々理解されず、自分たちの建設している理論に固執しているさまがよく現れていて、数学なのに、心情の問題のように感じられる微妙で、奇妙な状況である。
我々のゼロ除算の理論的な簡潔な説明、それを裏付ける具体的な証拠に当たる結果を沢山提示しているが、中々理解されない状況である。
数学界でも永い間の定説で、初めから、問題にしない人は多い状況である。ゼロ除算は算数、ユークリッド幾何学、解析幾何学など、数学の基本に関わることなので、この問題を究明、明確にして頂きたいと要請している:

再生核研究所声明 277(2016.01.26):アインシュタインの数学不信 ― 数学の欠陥
再生核研究所声明 278(2016.01.27): 面白いゼロ除算の混乱と話題 
再生核研究所声明279(2016.01.28) : ゼロ除算の意義
再生核研究所声明280(2016.01.29) : ゼロ除算の公認、認知を求める

我々のゼロ除算について8歳の少女が3週間くらいで、当たり前であると理解し、高校の先生たちも、簡単に理解されている数学、それを数学の専門家や、ゼロ除算の専門家が2年を超えても、誤解したり、受け入れられない状況は誠に奇妙で、アリストテレスの2000年を超える世の連続性についての固定した世界観や、上記天才数学者たちの足跡、数学界の定説に まるで全く嵌っている状況に感じられる。

以 上


考えてはいけないことが、考えられるようになった。 
説明できないことが説明できることになった。
Matrices and Division by Zero z/0 = 0
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/ALAMT_2016061413593686.pdf


再生核研究所声明292(2016.03.25) ユークリッド幾何学、非ユークリッド幾何学、平行線公理、そしてゼロ除算

(2016.3.23 朝、目を覚まして、情念と構想が閃いたものである。)
まず基本語をウイキペディアで確認して置こう:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A8%E3%82%A6%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%87%E3%82%B9
アレクサンドリアのエウクレイデス(古代ギリシャ語: Εὐκλείδης, Eukleídēs、ラテン語: Euclīdēs、英語: Euclid(ユークリッド)、紀元前3世紀? - )は、古代ギリシアの数学者、天文学者とされる。数学史上最も重要な著作の1つ『原論』(ユークリッド原論)の著者であり、「幾何学の父」と称される。プトレマイオス1世治世下(紀元前323年-283年)のアレクサンドリアで活動した。『原論』は19世紀末から20世紀初頭まで数学(特に幾何学)の教科書として使われ続けた。

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9D%9E%E3%83%A6%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E5%
非ユークリッド幾何学の成立: ニコライ・イワノビッチ・ロバチェフスキーは「幾何学の新原理並びに平行線の完全な理論」(1829年)において、「虚幾何学」と名付けられた幾何学を構成して見せた。これは、鋭角仮定を含む幾何学であった。ボーヤイ・ヤーノシュは父・ボーヤイ・ファルカシュの研究を引き継いで、1832年、「空間論」を出版した。「空間論」では、平行線公準を仮定した幾何学(Σ)、および平行線公準の否定を仮定した幾何学(S)を論じた。更に、1835年「ユークリッド第 11 公準を証明または反駁することの不可能性の証明」において、Σ と S のどちらが現実に成立するかは、如何なる論理的推論によっても決定されないと証明した。

ユークリッド幾何学は 2000年を超えて数学及び論理と あらゆる科学の記述の基礎になってきた。その幾何学を支える平行線の公理については、非ユークリッド幾何学の成立過程で徹底的に検討、議論され、逆に 平行線の公理がユークリッド幾何学の特徴的な仮定(仮説)で証明できない公理であることが明らかにされた。それとともに 数学とは何かに対する認識が根本的に変わり、数学とは公理系(仮説系)の上に建設された理論体系であって、絶対的な真理という概念を失った。
ここで焦点を当てたいのは 平行線の概念である。ユークリッド幾何学における平行線とは 任意の直線に対して、直線上以外の点を通って、それと交わらない直線のことで、平行線がただ1つ存在するというのがユークリッドの公理である。非ユークリッド幾何学では、そのような平行線が全然存在しなかったり、沢山存在する幾何学になっており、そのような幾何学は 実在し、現在も盛んに利用されている。
この平行線の問題が、ゼロ除算の発見1/0=0、台頭によって 驚嘆すべき、形相を帯びてきた。
ユークリッド自身、また、非ユークリッド幾何学の上記発見者たち、それに自ら深い研究をしていた天才ガウスにとっても驚嘆すべき事件であると考えられる。
何と ユークリッド空間で 平行線は ある意味で 全て原点で交わっている という、現象が明らかにされた。
もちろん、ここで交わっていることの意味を 従来の意味にとれば、馬鹿馬鹿しいことになる。
そこで、その意味をまず、正確に述べよう。まずは、 イメージから述べる。リーマン球面に立体射影させると 全ユークリッド平面は 球面から北極点を除いた球面上に一対一に写される。そのとき、球面の北極点に対応する点が平面上になく、想像上の点として無限遠点を付け加えて対応させれば、立体射影における円、円対応を考えれば、平面上の平行線は無限遠点で交わっているとして、すっきりと説明され、複素解析学における基本的な世界観を与えている。平行線は無限遠点で 角ゼロ(度)で交わっている(接している)も立体射影における等角性で保証される。あまりの美しさのため、100年を超えて疑われることはなく、世の全ての文献はそのような扱いになっていて数学界の定説である。
ところがゼロ除算1/0=0では 無限遠点は空間の想像上の点として、存在していても、その点、無限遠点は数値では ゼロ(原点)に対応していることが明らかにされた。 すなわち、北極(無限遠点)は南極(原点)と一致している。そのために、平行線は原点で交わっていると解釈できる。もちろん、全ての直線は原点を通っている。
この現象はユークリッド空間の考えを改めるもので、このような性質は解析幾何学、微積分学、複素解析学、物理学など広範に影響を与え、統一的に新しい秩序ある世界を構成していることが明らかにされた。2200年を超えて、ユークリッド幾何学に全く新しい局面が現れたと言える。
平行線の交わりを考えてみる。交わらない異なる2直線を1次方程式で書いて、交点の座標を求めて置く。その座標は、平行のとき、分母がゼロになって、交点の座標が求まらないと従来ではなっていたが、ゼロ除算では、それは可能で、原点(0,0)が対応すると解釈できる。ゼロ除算と解析幾何学からの帰結である。上記幾何学的な説明が、ゼロ除算で解析幾何学的にも導かれる。
一般の円の方程式を2次関数で表現すれば、(x^2+y^2) の係数がゼロの場合、直線の一般式になるが、ゼロ除算を用いると、それが保証されるばかりか、直線の中心は 原点である、直線も点円も曲率がゼロであることが導かれる。もちろん、ゼロ除算の世界では、全ての直線は原点を通っている。このとき、原点を無限遠点の映った影ともみなせ、原点はこのような意味で もともとの原点とこの意味での点としての、2重性を有し、この概念は今後大きな意味を有することになるだろう。
ゼロ除算1/0=0は ユークリッド幾何学においても、大きな変革を求めている。
                                     
以上

Matrices and Division by Zero z/0 = 0
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/ALAMT_2016061413593686.pdf



再生核研究所声明287(2016.02.12) 神秘的なゼロ除算の歴史―数学界で見捨てられていたゼロ除算

(最近 相当 ゼロ除算について幅広く歴史、状況について調べている。)
ゼロ除算とは ゼロで割ることを考えることである。ゼロがインドで628年に記録され、現代数学の四則演算ができていたが、そのとき、既にゼロで割ることか考えられていた。しかしながら、その後1300年を超えてずっと我々の研究成果以外解決には至っていないと言える。実に面白いのは、628年の時に、ゼロ除算は正解と判断される結果1/0=0が期待されていたということである。さらに、詳しく歴史を調べているC.B. Boyer氏の視点では、ゼロ除算を最初に考えたのはアリストテレスであると判断され、アリストテレスは ゼロ除算は不可能であると判断していたという。― 真空で比を考えること、ゼロで割ることはできない。アリストテレスの世界観は 2000年を超えて現代にも及び、我々の得たゼロ除算はアリストテレスの 世界は連続である に反しているので受け入れられないと 複数の数学者が言明されたり、情感でゼロ除算は受け入れられないという人は結構多い。
数学界では,オイラーが積極的に1/0 は無限であるという論文を書き、その誤りを論じた論文がある。アーベルも記号として、それを無限と表し、リーマンもその流れで無限遠点の概念を持ち、リーマン球面を考えている。これらの思想は現代でも踏襲され、超古典アルフォースの複素解析の本にもしっかりと受け継がれている。現代数学の世界の常識である。これらが畏れ多い天才たちの足跡である。こうなると、ゼロ除算は数学的に確定し、何びとと雖も疑うことのない、数学的真実であると考えるのは至極当然である。― ゼロ除算はそのような重い歴史で、数学界では見捨てられていた問題であると言える。
しかしながら、現在に至るも ゼロ除算は広い世界で話題になっている。 まず、顕著な研究者たちの議論を紹介したい:

論理、計算機科学、代数的な体の構造の問題(J. A. Bergstra, Y. Hirshfeld and J. V. Tucker)、
特殊相対性の理論とゼロ除算の関係(J. P. Barukcic and I. Barukcic)、
計算器がゼロ除算に会うと実害が起きることから、ゼロ除算回避の視点から、ゼロ除算の研究(T. S. Reis and James A.D.W. Anderson)。
またフランスでも、奇怪な抽象的な世界を建設している人たちがいるが、個人レベルでもいろいろ奇怪な議論をしている人があとを立たない。また、数学界の難問リーマン予想に関係しているという。

直接議論を行っているところであるが、ゼロ除算で大きな広い話題は 特殊相対性理論、一般相対性理論の関係である。実際、物理とゼロ除算の関係はアリストテレス以来、ニュートン、アインシュタインの中心的な課題で、それはアインシュタインの次の意味深長な言葉で表現される:

Albert Einstein:
Blackholes are where God divided by zero.
I don’t believe in mathematics.
George Gamow (1904-1968) Russian-born American nuclear physicist and cosmologist remarked that "it is well known to students of high school algebra" that division by zero is not valid; and Einstein admitted it as {\bf the biggest blunder of his life} [1]:
1. Gamow, G., My World Line (Viking, New York). p 44, 1970.

数学では不可能である、あるいは無限遠点と確定していた数学、それでも話題が尽きなかったゼロ除算、それが予想外の偶然性から、思いがけない結果、ゼロ除算は一般化された除算,分数の意味で、何時でも唯一つに定まり、解は何時でもゼロであるという、美しい結果が発見された。いろいろ具体的な例を上げて、我々の世界に直接関係する数学で、結果は確定的であるとして、世界の公認を要請している:
再生核研究所声明280(2016.01.29) ゼロ除算の公認、認知を求める
Announcement 282: The Division by Zero $z/0=0$ on the Second Birthday

詳しい解説も次で行っている:
○ 堪らなく楽しい数学-ゼロで割ることを考える(18)
数学基礎学力研究会のホームページ
URLは http://www.mirun.sctv.jp/~suugaku

以 上


何故ゼロ除算が不可能であったか理由

1 割り算を掛け算の逆と考えた事
2 極限で考えようとした事
3 教科書やあらゆる文献が、不可能であると書いてあるので、みんなそう思った。

Matrices and Division by Zero z/0 = 0
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/ALAMT_2016061413593686.pdf

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿